The indoor games for kids listed below are easy to play and the children will love them. Once the whole family joins in, the games end up becoming a lot of fun and make for an enjoyable family time.
These are some fun games for kids which have stood the test of time. These games are all time favorites and the best part is that all age groups can enjoy them.
- Monopoly: This is perhaps one of the oldest board games. It is an ideal game that one can play with the entire family. Kids, parents, and grandparents, everyone can join in. It is a fun way to spend the weekend at the grandparents' place.
- Battleship: Although it is not exactly a board game, it's a perfect bonding tool for siblings. It used to be played with paper and pencil but now, one can also get the electronic version. This game is inspired by the first world war, so you can sink aircraft carriers, the destroyers, and the battleships. All you have to do is guess the coordinates.
- Chess: This one requires real thinking power, but if you want some intelligent games for kids, there is none better than chess. If your kid is good at this, you know that you have a genius in the making.
- Scrabble: The best part about scrabble is that it improves your kids' vocabulary without them getting bored. The whole family can join in on it and it can go on for hours.
- Pictionary: One of the most popular indoor games for teens is pictionary. All you got to do is pick a card and draw a clue for your teammate to guess before the time on the sand timer runs out. It is fun looking at everyone's drawing skills.
Paper and Pencil Games
These are a set of games that just require a paper and a pen. They can be played anywhere and anytime. They are great to keep the kids busy while going on long road trips.
- Hangman: Almost everyone knows how to play this game and it is a favorite among kids. You can modify it in any way you like. You can make your child guess the names of cities, countries, movies, cartoon characters, or anything else. This game can be fun and educative at the same time. You can play it as a group for kids' birthday parties.
- Tic-Tac-Toe: This is a favorite among adults and teens, and a perfect way to pass 10 or 20 minutes. All you need to do is draw a grid with 9 boxes and take turns to put a cross or a circle into one grid square. Just aim to get three in a row to win the game.
- Dots and Squares: This one is also one of the many games that can be played on paper. The dots need to be drawn on a sheet of paper and one by one, the two players can join two dots with a line with the motive to make a square. The one with the most number of squares wins the game.
- Drawings: This is one way to encourage your kid's art activities. If your child likes to draw, just ask him/her to make interesting drawings. Use your creativity, for example you can ask him/her to draw a comic strip of his/her favorite cartoon character. Better still if there are a series of sketches on a few pages, and when you fan the pages, the image will appear to move.
These games can be played if there is room to run around or hide in. These are favorites at parties. These indoor party games are not only fun, but your children won't get bored of them easily either. A little supervision may be required if your kids are naughty.
- Hide and Seek: Hide and seek is a fun game that can be played indoors and outdoors. In fact, this is one of the most common outdoor games for children to play.
- Dark Room: This is a modified version of hide and seek, where children hide in a semi dark room while the person who is the "it" searches for others. Before the children play the game, it is important to make sure that the room has nothing that can compromise on child safety.
- Picnic: An indoor picnic is ideal for rainy days. You can make it interesting by asking your child to build a hut using pillows and a sheet, or just put up a small tent in the room, switch off the lights, and make shadows with a torch against the fabric wall.
- Chinese Whispers: This game needs to be played in a group. All you need to do is make the kids sit in a group and ask one to child pass on the message to the one next to him or her, and so on. Watch them laugh as the initial message turns into something else by the end.
Now that you are fully prepared with a list of these fun indoor games for children, they are sure to enjoy themselves thoroughly at home. These games are an ideal way to spend some quality time as a family together.