Recreational activities are the one thing we look forward to when the week rolls to a finish. Guys kickback with friends/colleagues, most schoolmates/college kids plan a weekend at the movies or binging on junk food, couples wonder where to go next this weekend and so on. Here you will discover there's more to a weekend than just the usual popcorn and a movie/sitting at home while popping in that favorite DVD. It's time to get off that behind, and do something outdoorsy or try something you've never done before. Everything featured here can be experimented with, from extreme sports to fun backyard activities and more. Outdoor recreational activities will give you a chance to get active, pump up your adrenaline level whilst experiencing a whole new meaning of having fun.
List of Activities to Do on Outdoor Recreation
Some recreational activities can be a little childish, but there's no harm in tapping into that little child-like side in you. These activities can be done not just over the weekends, but even on long holidays away from home with family/friends. It can be a nice time to bond and get to know the other even better, including how good they are at outdoor activities. Picnics, work outings, college/school trips, summer vacations, camp activities and so on, can try out some of these activities. There are some outdoor recreation activities for kids, where parental supervision may be needed for some of them.
There are some games that are kid-friendly, and can be tried out by adults as well. The other games that seem a little dangerous, need supervision like I mentioned earlier.
- Lemon Race: I used to play this game in school all the time; all you need is a certain number of lemons based on how many people are there (one for each) and tablespoons for each contestant. Everyone stands at the starting line; with anyone opting to play the role of referee, drawing the finish line some 20 feet away. Contestants are supposed to hold the spoon handle in their mouth (not all the way), balancing the lemon on it, while racing to the finish line without dropping it. Anyone who drops it, has to step away from the others, while the rest move ahead cautiously towards the finish line.
- Dodgeball: I'm sure many of you are familiar with this game. It is usually played indoors, but you can give it a shot outside. It needs about 6 - 12 players and a ball (not too hard, foam-like). Players have to be divided into two teams, both competing against the other to see how many players can be eliminated from the game. Rules state that if a ball hits the opposing team member, they must leave play area and sit aside, but if someone on the eliminated person's team catches the ball thrown by the opposing team, without getting hit, then he can choose who he/she wants back in the game. Mark points around the area where everyone is playing. Anyone who crosses these points/boundaries, is out. When all players are removed from the game of an opposing team, the game's over. Do your research before you plan to play it, to be clear about the rules.
- Paintballing: This game will keep you coming back for more. Amusement parks usually have a sprawling area, meant only for paintball fanatics; with hide outs and weird structures big and small in size to take cover in. You can divide yourselves into two teams, and start off by spreading out and gunning down your enemies. One uses paint ball pellets that burst into different colors on contact. It comes loaded with quite a bit of pellets, giving you a hands on shooting experience, with paintball guns and not just the kind that keeps kids glued to their gaming consoles.
- Bungee Jumping: If you haven't tried out this extreme sport, I suggest you try it out now. It's exhilarating and the ultimate adrenaline pumping activity (paragliding too by the way). It isn't as scary as it looks. Most of you will want to do it more than once. Just make sure you perform this act on an empty stomach though.
- Sack Race: The much-loved sack race is a favorite activity tried out by kids/adults worldwide. All you need is a gunny sack and either two people pairing up, or just single persons. All contestants have to place the gunny bag on the floor, slide inside it, lift it up around them and hop to the finish line. First one there wins. Those who fall can get up and continue on.
- Freeze Tag: Who doesn't like to play this game? It's an energetic game where players assign one person as 'it', as others run away from him/her. When someone gets tagged by the one who's 'it', he/she has to freeze in place, until someone else runs by and tags them again to be able to resume running away from the person who's 'it'.
- Building a snow man
- Snowball fights
- Building an igloo
- Nature walks
- Trekking/Mountain climbing