In the year 1938, architect Alfred Mosher Butts, invented and innovated a game known as Scrabble that achieved huge success in the 20th century. This game basically concentrated on the vocabulary and spelling skills of the player. A huge variety of games that are related and based on vocabulary have been played for a long period of time. Many of these games are highly demanding and need the player to know the meaning of words, their synonyms, antonyms, number and sequence of letters, etc. The basic requirement for playing these games is that the player should have a good knowledge of the English language.
In many of the games that are related to vocabulary and spellings, the game play involves the unscrambling of a senseless combination of letters that are given to the player. In other games, like Crossword or Scrabble, the player is required to make a word that is synonymous to a given phrase or statement. In some games, the player has to unscramble the letters of the word and fit the whole word in a particular matrix, within the given columns and rows. Following are the steps that you can use while learning how to unscramble words. Please note that these techniques are not totally fool-proof and one has to put in a lot of efforts and thinking into it.
- The first step is to find out the number of letters that are present in the word. You also need to find out the number of vowels, verses, and consonants that are present in the unscrambled word.
- Many words end with a peculiar pronunciation, like ing or ly, or start with a particular pronunciation like un or uni. At times, you may get a word that belongs to these categories. Figuring out such words is pretty easy, as they are most commonly used.
- If this does not work, then one can also figure out if the word is a noun, an adjective, or a verb by individually analyzing the letters. At times, if the word falls under the category of nouns, adjectives, or verbs, then one can figure it out by using the first letter as a consonant and the second one as the vowel. Trying out permutations and combinations of a group of vowels and consonants also helps a lot.
- The last probability, or rather combination, that you can try out is placing the first and the last letter of the word and then placing the remaining letters in between.
- Usually, with the help of the given letters, one can easily make out if the word is in a superlative degree, or is a pronoun or a verb. The key is to count the number of letters, vowels, and consonants.
- Regular players develop a huge volume of vocabulary, and also a great deal of memory.
- Another very good advantage is that the players tend to develop a highly versatile amount of words and meanings. This proves to be very useful while communicating in any manner,be it in writing letters, conversing, mailing, and also while talking on the phone.
- The players not only know the words and their spellings, but they also tend to learn the synonyms and antonyms.
- Along with knowing the words, a habit of using the words and phrases at the appropriate time and in the correct context is also developed.
- The game play also increases your tendency to think and analyze situations quickly.
- Since these games develop a person's personality and brain power, many lawyers, executives, politicians, and general public speakers play them daily.
- A very important fact is that these are excellent party games and are especially played as a birthday party games.