Tired of never having anything interesting to share with friends? Earn bragging rights by learning these 5 fun facts about Guatemala before the rest of your crew finds out.
5 fun facts about Guatemala you probably didn’t know
- If you like blue jeans, then you can thank the hard-working people in Guatemala. Guatemalans were the first to create and wear blue denim and they’re still one of the main exporters of high-quality textiles today.
- Those who enjoy pulse-pounding adventures might want to listen up. Visitors of the Pacaya volcano can roast marshmallows on molten rocks at the base of the pit when they get done exploring.
- Tradition plays a significant role in the lives of locals. In fact, many people worship an entity named Maximón who sleeps with all the villagers’ wives when they go to work.
- The concept of conservation through second chances is big in Guatemala. Retired American school buses are routinely refurbished for public transit.
- Lovers of wildlife preservation rejoice. You can help locals release turtles back into the sea at Tortugario Montericco from June to December.
Are you suddenly looking forward to visiting Guatemala someday? You’re not alone. The country hosts more than 1.5 million tourists every year and has a rich cultural heritage that’s inviting to all travelers.
4 challenging questions to ask your fellow travelers
Fun questions can lead to some pretty serious discoveries. And who knows? Maybe some of these questions will start an interesting conversation (and help kill some time too):
- What ancient indigenous civilizations once thrived in the jungles and mountains of Guatemala? ANSWER: The Mayans, Xincas, and Garifunas.
- How many different dialects are spoken in this country? ANSWER: 21.
- What language does 90% of the Guatemalan population speak? ANSWER: Spanish.
- When was the last volcanic eruption in the country? ANSWER: June of 2018 (Fuego)
Make your trip more exciting by turning these questions into a contest. Whoever answers the most correctly wins a prize.
3 reasons to learn fun facts about Guatemala
You could learn about any country in the world, but why not learn some fun facts about Guatemala instead? After all, there are at least three good reasons to do it:
- Guatemala City boasts many bustling party towns that explode every weekend. It remains one of the most popular destinations for international travelers to this day.
- Traveling between villages means taking a short, inexpensive boat ride. The country is one of the most affordable places to visit in the entire world.
- You can watch the sunrise or sunset over ancient ruins if you plan your trip according to local schedules. If that’s not a photographer’s dream, we don’t know what is.
Be sure to discuss possible tour times with your local travel agency to prevent cultural oversights and airport hangups. NOT-SO-FUN FACT: Smalltown banks will only accept US $50 bills.
The sum of it all
It looks like 5 plus 4 plus 3 equals an awesome experience either way. Whether traveling or just impressing your pals with brainpower, knowing a few fun facts about Guatemala can really save the day.