News flash: if you don’t have the right board game accessories, you’ll probably never win. In fact, it will be hard just to have fun. That’s because you can’t beat an opponent who’s better equipped than you. And you can’t play a game without the pieces either.
Granted, some games come with everything you need to get started. However, certain games can be combined and/or enhanced with versatile gear. So, give yourself and your friends a better shot at having fun by creating a well-rounded collection.
What are board game accessories?
Accessories help players create different scenarios and rules. They also serve as markers and scorekeepers. Meanwhile, they can be used in compatible games and often take on characteristics of their own. Some examples of the must-haves that are commonly sold with modern games include:
The accessories you’ll find in the box depend on which game you’ve decided to play. For more information about acceptable add-ons, read the label or review the instructions.
Which items are most important for having fun?
The way you play your board games is your own business. As long as you’re not cheating, anything goes. But it’s also important to get the party started with the right gear. Here are three quick guidelines to help you get going:
- Things that keep score – This is important whether you’re playing by yourself or betting with friends and family because it ensures fairness.
- Products that enhance in-game options – We’re talking about meeple, board inserts, soundtracks, extra decks, and compatible mobile apps.
- Anything that aids with accessibility – Stock lots of pens and pencils, extra batteries, lights, and large-print materials for your friends with disabilities.
Keep in mind that each game is as unique as the people who play it. So, do a few test runs to determine which accessories work best, and don’t forget to think outside the box.
How to create a collection of the best board game accessories
Believe it or not, you can create a nifty collection of board game accessories in just a few minutes. You don’t need any special skills and there’s very little assembly required. In fact, all you have to do is this:
- Determine the games that require or welcome extra accessories.
- Create a special spot in your home to store your items.
- Be careful not to lose any of the pieces to the original game.
- Always stay on top of gaming trends to get first access to fun add-ons.
To get some inspiration or gather winning tips, visit your favorite game’s official website. Or, you can always ask opponents for their suggestions because you never know what they’ll come up with next.
FUN FACT: You can play a game however you want as long as all the players agree on the rules.
Having the best board game accessories is both sensible and important. It’s also easy to gather up supplies and whip up a useful collection. To start having more fun without spending a bunch of money, get creative, and pick the brains of your friends.