Are you a big Harry Potter fan? If so, then it’s important for you to learn how to play quidditch. It’s Harry’s favorite game and it’s also tons of fun. Plus, learning the ropes will make you a lot cooler to your friends. So, here’s what you need to know.
What is quidditch?
Quidditch is actually a young game. It was created in 2005 but recently became popular because of the Harry Potter series. That means there aren’t a bunch of old traditions to learn before you play. Instead, it’s a rather simple game that can be played between two teams of friends. The object is to score more points than your foes. That’s it.
How to play quidditch like Harry Potter
There’s no doubt that Harry is the king of quidditch. That’s because he understands the rules and uses them to strategize his next moves. In fact, these are some of the things that probably go through his mind while he’s out on the field:
- This game isn’t always played on flying broomsticks like in the movies.
- The referee must release the quaffle (ball), Bludgers, and Snitch before the game can begin.
- Players need to avoid the Bludgers and Snitch at all costs.
- Any contact with the Snitch is considered a foul unless you’re a Seeker.
- The game only ends when the Seeker successfully catches the Snitch.
It’s crucial that you learn about the different players and their roles in the game. For example, team captains can also end the game before the Snitch is caught. So, brush up on all possible scenarios before playing with your friends because it can get pretty competitive.
How to play quidditch with your friends
- Real-life games without all the sorcery are called Muggle Quidditch.
- The Seeker seeks the Snitch, but the Beaters protect the Seeker from Bludgers.
- Chasers head to the quaffle through a hoop on the other side of the field.
- The Keeper is responsible for blocking those hoops.
While the game is in session, goals can be scored with a quidditch ball. When that happens, players then toss the quaffle back into play for another round. That means quidditch games can go on for a really long time. In fact, the longest game on record was 3 months long, according to Oliver Wood.
Regardless of the game’s length, all players have to avoid the Bludgers and Snitch the entire time. If you get good at the game, you can enter tournaments through the International Quidditch Association (IQA). In some cases, you can even win money like in poker.
Fun facts before you play
Quidditch is becoming more popular every day. So far, there are over 300 teams from more than 20 different countries who love playing this game. That means it should be pretty easy to find friends to spar with, even if you live in a rural area.