Monopoly was a game invented during the years of the Great Depression by Charles Brace Darrow of Germantown, Pennsylvania. At first, it was invented by Charles and his wife, who played it to keep themselves busy. An interesting fact about Monopoly is that its streets are based on the names of the streets of Atlantic city (as this city was their favorite vacationing spot). The first few Monopoly games were homemade board games, as he had given them as gifts to his friends and sold a few in some Philadelphia departmental stores. Soon, the popularity of this game increased and so did the demand for it. Failing to cope up with this demand, Darrow arranged 'Parker Brothers' to take over the production of the game, and soon Monopoly gained worldwide popularity. Read on for some game rules for Monopoly.
The Monopoly Game
You have to become the wealthiest player of the game and bankrupt the rest of the players.
Before going onto the Monopoly board game rules, let us take a look at the cash distribution of the game.
- Every player receives $1500 of 'game cash' at the beginning.
- They get five of $1, $5 and $10 bills
- Six $20 dollar bills
- Two of $50, $100 and $500 bills
- The remaining money in the game becomes the property of the bank.
- The game can be played between two to eight players. Each player gets to select the pewter pawn.
- Every player receives about $1500 in cash.
- The sequence of players is decided by rolling two dice.
- One player can act as a banker of the game. He has to keep his and the banks money separate.
- The first player rolls over the two dice and moves the pewter to equal number of spaces. (Although the official Monopoly game rules state that the first player has to be the banker.)
- If the player manages to roll a double dice, then he gets another chance to roll again.
- The property on which the player lands after rolling the dice, if it is not owned by anyone, that player has the option of buying the property.
- If the player lands on the property that is owned by someone else, then the owner has to collect the rent.
- If the property is mortgaged, then the rent cannot be collected.
- There are spaces on the board named, chance and community. when a player lands on those spaces, he can draw a card from the corresponding decks, and do what it says.
- When the player buys a property, he has the option of buying hotels and houses. This increases the rent of the property, and whenever another player lands on such places, the owner gets the increased rent.
- A player can only build a hotel if he has bought four houses.
- The player can buy, sell, or even trade the properties with other players.
- When the player lands on the income tax space, the player has the option of paying either $200 or 10% of his total worth to the bank. The option of paying $200 can only be exercised before calculating his total worth. Once it has been done, the player has no option but to pay 10% of his cash.
- If the player rolls the triple dice, then he has to go to jail. This is also true when the player lands on the 'Go to Jail' space. He can get out of jail either by paying $50 or rolling a double dice again.
- If a player is bankrupt and owes another player some rent, he has to give his property to other players.
- The game ends when only one player is left and all the other players are bankrupt.
The above were some Monopoly game rules. With knowledge of these rules, I hope that you will have fun while playing the game of Monopoly, with your pals.