Did you just type in “best board game cafe near me” into your search engine? Millions of people have looked up those words this year alone, so you know the clubs are popping. But before you start clicking around aimlessly, check out what we’ve found.
Searching for the best board game cafe near me
You can always do a quick Google search for the best board game cafe near me, but that won’t get you very far. Many times, a gaming group will fail to advertise their events or location to the public. As a result, it can be hard to find the right place. It certainly doesn’t help that a lot of these cafes are often tucked into small buildings off of hidden roads.
When you’re looking for a great place to play games with like-minded people, always consider the following things first:
- The types of games you want to play – Keep in mind that not all cafes are the same. In fact, some of them only play cards while others focus primarily on board games.
- How serious you want to be about it – Gaming cafes usually have tables for people of all experience levels, with opportunities to sign up for contests and competitions too.
- When you plan to participate – Check the schedule at any board game cafe in your area to be sure they’re hosting events at times that are convenient for you.
Also, club members might get asked to pay for play. That means you can win big money if you succeed in one of their competitions.
The top 10 gaming cafes in America
You may or may not find a bunch of options in your neighborhood but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Believe it or not, there are probably a few you don’t even know about. Gaming cafes are a relatively new idea, so give them time to reach the mainstream.
Meanwhile, these board game cafes are gaining quite the following in America, so maybe check one out if it’s near you:
- Mox Boarding House in Seattle, Washington
- The Uncommons in New York City
- Game Knight Lounge in Portland, Oregon
- The Rook and Pawn in Athens, Georgia
- Mac and Chess in Miami, Florida
- Meeple’s in Richmond, Kentucky
- Tabletop Board Game Cafe in Cleveland, Ohio
- Emerald Tavern Games and Cafe in Austin, Texas
- Board Game Republic in Denver, Colorado
- Pieces in Saint Louis, Missouri
Keep in mind that each board game cafe has its own rules, regulations, and participation requirements. So, be sure to call ahead and ask questions before entering a competition.
What to bring to a board game cafe near me
Although things are different everywhere you go, there are still some basic rules that everyone has to follow when they enter a board game cafe. First of all, you should always bring a positive attitude and willingness to learn. The cafe will most likely have all the board game accessories you need. But here’s what else you need to know before getting started:
- Don’t make any loud noises because that disrupts people’s concentration.
- Never ask a player about their strategy during gameplay.
- Let someone know if you can’t make it to a game.
- Show up ready to play, not socialize (because that comes afterward).
- Wait patiently for your turn because the previous game may run over if the competition is fierce.
Once you’ve found a spot to sit down, try not to move around a lot. Many people will be trying to get a seat, so show up early to mark your territory.