Making your own card game design isn’t as hard as it sounds. In fact, the biggest roadblock is finding somewhere to print and play them. In the meantime, you have to learn how the creation process works if you want to make your own stuff.
What goes into making a card game design
Popular card games like Game of Thrones and Magic the Gathering have cult followings that hunt for cards just because of their imagery. Either way, all card designs must be cohesive with the game’s overall objective. That means you can’t just sketch some pictures on paper and call it a day. How would you feel if your favorite card game designers did that?
To make a good deck, you have to create a satisfying experience for each player. Gaming brands also introduce new cards every now and then to give people something to look forward to. So, from time to time, make sure you’re coming out with something fresh. At the same time, designers must be sure the game’s rules are always followed.
DID YOU KNOW: Some playing card games feature collectible cards that are worth serious cash.
Copying the greats
They say you should mimic what successful people do if you want to achieve your goals, so it makes sense to copy the card game greats. That’s because making your own card game designs takes imagination and marketing skills. Here’s what you need to do:
- Think about the characters in the game. If you need inspiration, look at pieces of art or watch your favorite movies.
- Make imagery that coordinates with the goal. In other words, don’t design butterflies if your game takes place in a dungeon.
- All players should see unity between the different suits or factions. That way, nobody feels like there’s an unfair advantage.
- Color coordination is a great way to keep everyone on track. It also helps with scoring and can eliminate cheating too.
Remember, your players don’t want to play a guessing game; they want to play cards and practice strategies. So, give them a good challenge but make sure it’s a game they can win.
How to make a card game design of your own
Did you know that you can create unique layouts using an app or computer software? Within each program, you can also collaborate with other creative minds to develop something truly spectacular. The best part is that you don’t always have to pay to play.
For your convenience, here are the top 3 tools for making cool card game designs:
- LaTex – It’s a popular template making software that’s used for all types of gaming design.
- Inkscape – This one is a vector-based card editing app that allows you to customize your templates in unique ways.
- Dulst – You’re looking at the world’s premier game creation studio with real-time testing features and a great price.
Whatever you do, don’t give up on that great idea in your head. After all, the team that developed MTG and GOT card games didn’t do it overnight. And besides, people get bored easily so they’re always looking for new ways to have fun. Give it to them.