If you think you excel in mathematics and logical thinking, here is a compilation of some tricky riddles which you might just find interesting. The only scenario wherein you are likely to find these riddles easy is, if you already know the answers.
Riddles can be fun when you can solve them easily, but all the more frustrating when you can’t. Regardless of whether they are fun or frustrating, one can’t deny the fact that they often capture our attention with utmost ease, and make us restless until we find the answer. These riddles are a bit tough to crack, especially if you lack critical thinking skills. You need to understand that good listening skills and reasoning ability can help you crack even the toughest riddles you come across.
Some people just love mathematics, others prefer to stay away from anything remotely related to numbers. Irrespective of whether you belong to the first group or second, solving riddles involving application of mathematics is a fun way to get acquainted with numbers.
1. You have a jug of milk from which you have to remove one cup milk aside. But you only have a three-cup measuring container and a five-cup measuring container with you. So how will you remove exactly one cup milk aside?
2. The ages of a father and son add up to 66. The father’s age is the son’s age reversed. How old could they be?
In order to solve some riddles, you require logical thinking, i.e., the ability to think out of the box. In case of such riddles, all other things take a backseat and logic becomes the driving factor. This is where critical thinking skills come to your rescue.
1. A man is on a trip with a fox, goose, and a sack of corn. He comes upon a stream, which he has to cross, and finds a tiny boat which he can use. The problem though, is that he can only take himself and either the fox, goose, or the corn across at a time. It is not possible for him to leave the fox alone with the goose, or the goose alone with the corn. How can he get all safely over the stream?
2. You are standing in front of a room with 1 light bulb inside. You cannot see if it is on or off. Outside the room there are 3 switches in off position. You have to find out which switch controls the light bulb inside, but you get to enter the room only once. So how do you find out?
You have to take life seriously, but not all the time. There are times when seriousness should take the back seat, and solving riddles which make you laugh is one of the best examples of this. PS: Make sure you don’t use these with some short-tempered person whose idea of fun is different from yours!
1. A boy was at a carnival and went to a booth where a man said to the boy, “If I write your exact weight on this piece of paper then you have to give me $50, but if I cannot, I will pay you $50.” The boy looked around and saw no scale, so he agreed, thinking no matter what the man writes he will just say he weighs more or less. In the end the boy ended up paying the man $50. How did the man win the bet?
2. After teaching his class all about the Roman numerals (X=10, IX=9 and so on) the teacher asked his class to draw a single continuous line and turn IX into 6. The only stipulation the teacher made was that the pen could not be lifted from the paper until the line was complete.
Some of these riddles were outright illogical, but they did bring a smile on your face. What’s even better is the fact that such riddles can sharpen your problem-solving skills by teaching you to think out of the box, reasoning and applying the knowledge you get from education.