These tricky riddles for kids are funny, challenging, and call for out of the box thinking. Attempt to figure them out, and then pose them to others. You are sure to bring a smile to everyone’s face with these.
When I was younger, books were my prized possessions. Among my favorites, were a few books of riddles, which I have fiercely held onto for posterity. Every now and then I come upon them, while dusting a shelf, or putting things in order. With the job at hand forgotten, I sit down with them, for those well worn yellow pages are always able to bring out a smile. They always bring back memories of how much I enjoyed reading them, as well as reiterating them to friends. I hope you enjoy these tricky riddles meant for kids as much as I enjoyed putting them together.
Try your answers for each riddle before clicking the “show answer” link.
- Which vehicle is spelled the same forwards and backwards?
- What do sea monsters eat?
Fish and ships
- What do you call a kitten who drinks lemonade?
- Why did the clock in the cafeteria always run slow?
Every lunch it went back four seconds
- Why did the banana go to the doctor?
Because it was not peeling well!
- Why won’t bikes stand up by themselves?
Because they are two tired (too tired).
- What do you get when you cross SpongeBob with Albert Einstein?
- Why is six afraid of seven?
Because seven, eight, nine!
- What do you call your father-in-law’s only child’s mother-in-law?
- How much is a skunk worth?
- What do you call a song about a car?
A car tune (cartoon)
- Why did the cookie go to the doctor?
Because he was feeling crummy
- Why did the cake like to play baseball?
Because it was a good batter.
- What kind of monkey can fly?
A hot air baboon.
- What did the banana do when it heard the ice scream?
Tricky Math Riddles for Kids
- Jenny gave Ally as many dollars as Ally started out with. Ally then gave Jenny back as much as Jenny had left. Jenny then gave Ally back as many dollars as Ally had left, which left Jenny broke and Ally with a total of 80.00 dollars. How much did Jenny and Ally have at the beginning of their exchange?
Jenny had 50 dollars and Ally had 30 dollars.
- King Tut died 120 years after King Eros was born. Their combined ages when they died was 100 years. King Eros died in the year 40 B.C. In what year was King Tut born?
King Tut was born in 20 B.C. There were 120 years between the birth of King Eros and the death of King Tut, but since their ages amounted to only 100 years, there must have been 20 years when neither existed. This would be a period between the death of King Eros, 40 B.C., and the birth of King Tut, 20 B.C.
- Bruce owns a pet store. He puts one canary per cage, but has one bird too many. If he puts two canaries in each cage, he has one cage too many. How many cages and canaries does he have?
Bruce has 3 cages and 4 canaries.
- What number am I? I am a three digit number. My tens digit is five more than my ones digit. My hundreds digit is eight less than my tens digit.
Tricky Logic Riddles for Kids
- What gets wetter the more it dries?
- What building has the most stories?
- What can you put in a wood box that will make it lighter?
- What’s the difference between a jeweler and a jailer?
Show AnswerAnswer:A jeweler sells watches and a jailer watches cells!
- What grows down when it grows up?
- If you drop a yellow hat in the Red Sea, what does it become?
- If there are three oranges and you take away two, how many will you have?
Two. (You took two)
Funny Riddles for Children
- Why do sharks only swim in salt water?
Because pepper water makes them sneeze.
- Why don’t African animals play games?
There are too many cheetahs (cheaters)!
- What do you call a zipper on a banana?
A fruit fly!
- What do lazy dogs do for fun?
Chase parked cars!
- What do you get when you cross a parrot with a tiger?
I don’t know, but when it talks, you better listen carefully!
- If a fire hydrant has H2O inside, what does it have on the outside?
I hope you get a good laugh out of these tricky riddles. Studies have shown that puzzles and problem solving among other activities, stimulate the brain, cause the brain to grow and also reduce chances of memory loss later. So, encourage your kids and try to do the same too!